Review: Finding It by Cora Carmack

05:39

Title: Finding It (Losing It 3)
Author: Cora Carmack
Date of publication: 15 Oct 2013
Genre: Contemporary Romance

Author's links: 
Website / Facebook /Goodreads

My rating: 3 stars




Goodreads Blurb

Sometimes you have to lose yourself to find where you truly belong...

Most girls would kill to spend months traveling around Europe after college graduation with no responsibility, no parents, and no-limit credit cards. Kelsey Summers is no exception. She's having the time of her life . . . or that's what she keeps telling herself.

It's a lonely business trying to find out who you are, especially when you're afraid you won't like what you discover. No amount of drinking or dancing can chase away Kelsey's loneliness, but maybe Jackson Hunt can. After a few chance meetings, he convinces her to take a journey of adventure instead of alcohol. With each new city and experience, Kelsey's mind becomes a little clearer and her heart a little less hers. Jackson helps her unravel her own dreams and desires. But the more she learns about herself, the more Kelsey realizes how little she knows about Jackson.


My Review

This is the third book in the Losing It series by Cora Carmack and I have read and enjoyed the previous two so I was pretty excited about this one. Some of my GR friends praised it as the best so for but unfortunately, I was disappointed with it.

I like the general premise and the idea of travel (in this case across Europe) as metaphor of the journey of self-discovery. When it is done well it can be a very entertaining read. As much as I enjoyed the adventures of Kelsey and Jackson, I really couldn't really connect with the characters. 

I found Kelsey rather immature and some of her actions were just stupid and irresponsible. She was suffering from emotional trauma and had distant and overbearing parents but that didn't justify her misguided attempts to have a great adventure which would help her feel better about herself. 

Jackson was a likeable character - sexy and mysterious, with secrets of his own. Together he and Kelsey set to experience the beauty of Europe. They formed a deep emotional connection, yet they preferred to ignore each other's issues rather than deal with them. For a long time their relationship was all about pleasure and escaping real life, very much like their journey. 

I felt cheated with the big reveal which came with a plot twist I was naive not to see it coming. Things felt just rushed through and at the same time Hunt's story was presented far too briefly. There will be novella about him, but I think his background and POV should have been included in this book instead. 

It is a typical NA story, a bit clichéd and for me, not engaging enough. What I liked in book 1 of this series, Losing It, was Bliss' unusual character - her awkwardness was endearing and fun to read. Then, Max and Cade in Faking It (my review) were also rather entertaining - opposites attract, faking a relationship, etc. Here, I liked Jackson, but I didn't get enough of him. The story was too focused on Kelsey and I couldn't relate to her at all. 

In the end, all their issues were rather neatly dealt with coming to a very happy ending. It was hasty and abrupt, but nevertheless, it was sweet.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images