Review: Three Broken Promises by Monica Murphy

04:24

Title: Three Broken Promises (Drew + Fable #3)
Author: Monica Murphy
Date of publication: 31 Dec 2013
Genre: New Adult, Romance

Author's links:
Website / Twitter / Facebook / Goodreads

My rating: 2 stars



Goodreads Blurb

Commitment. That’s what I really want from Colin. Ever since my brother, Danny, died in Iraq, Colin’s done so much to help me, including giving me a job at his popular restaurant so I can leave my crappy waitressing job at the strip joint. But lying in bed with him every night to comfort him from his horrible nightmares isn’t enough anymore. I know he feels guilty about Danny’s death, about not going to Iraq, but I can’t keep living this double life. 

I love him desperately, but he’s got so many demons, and if he can’t open up to me now, then he’ll never be the real partner I need him to be. I gave him a month, and now I’m out of here. If he truly loves me like he says, he knows where to find me.

My Reveiw

I really enjoyed the first two books in series One Week Girlfriend (my review) and Second Chance Boyfriend (my review) which told Drew and Fable's story. Colin and Jen were introduced in them and I was curious to see how they will work as a couple. Unfortunately, I found their story disappointing.

Colin came off as alpha male when he was first introduced - confident, self-assured, successful businessman, protective of Fable, even though she was an employee of his. He seemed strong and mature for his age. In this book I felt like we met a completely different person. He was indecisive, held back by his sense of guilt and failed obligation. He was closed off in his head, attracted to Jen, yet feeling unworthy of actually being with her. His solution to go for a friends-with-benefits sort of relationship was a sing of of his weakness to risk being open about his feelings and to go for what he really wanted.

I didn't like Jen very much, either. She acted immature and made really poor decisions on numerous occasions. She got into one bad situation after another, both in the past and in the present and her total lack of common sense and poor judgement was frustrating. 

On the positive side, Jen and Colin had great chemistry as a couple and love scenes were hot. I was rather annoyed, though, with the constant going back and forth in their relationship. There was far too much negative thinking and introspection on both parts and not enough actual communication. 

What I liked most in this book was the presence of Fable and Drew. She was her sassy, out-spoken self and the episode when Drew gives Colin relationship advise was both funny and spot on. 

Despite my disappointment with Jen and Colin I plan to continue with this series. The conclusion of Drew and Fable's romance, Drew and Fable Forever comes out on Jan 14, and Owen's story, Four Years Later, will be released on Feb 25.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images